What is SEO writing? SEO is Search Engine Optimization. SEO writing (or writing for SEO) is a specific way of writing to get attention from search engines using a particular word or phrase. Commonly we can call it; it’s writing by targeting a keyword or keyphrase to grab attention to websites from search engines.
But why it’s essential to websites? Because a website needs to provide its content, service, or product for people for what they are searching for continuously on search engines.
Website owners need people (traffic) to come to their site and engage with their content, service, or products, services they provided. So, they need search engines to point people to their website by providing valuable content.
If you want to give a try to SEO writing by starting a website or blog, there are certain things and areas you should have to know before you start.
Always good content and search engine-directed content will at the top of them. It will decide how people will interact with your website and how search engines refer to your website from targeted keywords or keyphrases.
In this article, I will walk through by showing you about essential SEO writing factors that I learned from my blog journey from the beginning. Let’s move to one by one.
Don’t have time to read this? Pin it here for later!
1. Choose a keyword
This is the word or phrase that you want to show up your content on the first pages of search engine results. It’s important to doing keyword research to choose SEO keywords.
It needs to be simple and something that people looking for, actually have a chance of ranking higher in search engines. Yes, it is a more important thing in SEO, so take your time with this using the below tools.
- Ubersuggest: This a free keyword SEO tool that provides complete insights regarding website traffic and SEO keywords. You can simply enter a keyword and it provides you all of the search volumes, SEO difficulty (SD) and suggested searches (from Google and Bing) for that keyword. Using this free tool you can choose a keyword that volume between 500-2000 and search difficulty (SD) between 8-15 for better ranking. Additionally, see the search volume trend for better value.
- Google Keyword Planner: A free Google Ads tool for advertisers to building new Search Network campaigns. You can also use this Keyword Planner to search for keywords, competition, and Keyword ideas based on a phrase to see how keywords might perform for monthly searches. First, you need to set up Google Ads account and navigate to Tools & Settings > Keyword Planner to start.
- SEMrush: A leading SEO tool that helps to do keyword research, tracks your competitions, runs an SEO audit of your website or blog, and lots more. You can create a free account on SMRush, and they will provide some limited services and searches a day.
2. Write a Perfect Title
The title is used to tell search engines and visitors what is your page about and how it’s valuable. You can write a catchy title to improve your click-through rate (CTR) from search engines.
However, you should aim to length your title to 50-60 characters. But it should include the keyword or phrase at the beginning, that you are focused on writing.
3. Include the Keyword in the URL
You should have to optimized permalink structure for SEO writing, which means your post URL should be the focus on your content and keep it short and SEO-Friendly.
If you’re on WordPress, you can set up your permalinks structure from “General settings” and make it clean for your visitors.
Also, Online security is a must these days. Make sure your sites or blog uses an HTTPS (HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure) connection. If not, you have to purchase an SSL certificate for your website or blog.
One of the popular hosting providers, Bluehost offers a FREE domain for the first year and FREE SSL certificate with their hosting plans. Simply, there is no extra cost to you.
Also, you can contact your current hosting provider to purchase your SSL certificate (Secure Sockets Layer).
I know this is relatively technical may hurt you. But you can find everything you need from here.
4. Start Writing Including Keyword(s)
Make sure to include your focused keyword with your first paragraph, beginning of the post. It is better to start your writing by giving an introduction to what you’re entirely writing about. Also, make sure to include your keyword in the below places.
- The first paragraph
- Subheadings (where possible)
- Alt-tags for images
5. Link to Other Posts
Internal links are essential to tell about your website to search engines in SEO writing. It makes a structure about your website, and visitors can easily navigate on your website, which means visitors will spend more time on your website. So, you can link every post by an anchor text to the links between your related posts.
6. Get Links From Other Websites
We can call them “Backlinks.” A backlink is a link from another website that has linked to your website. Backlinks to your website are a signal to search engines that others have trust in your content. That’s why backlinks make a significant impact on a website’s growth in search engine results.
Always the quality of links is far more critical than the quantity of how much do you get linked. It should be natural and relevant to your content. The best way to do this, write the good and make a request for a link.
What’s Next on SEO Writing?
There’s more on the subject of SEO, but above are the basics of SEO writing. I hope that will surely help beginners to understand what is SEO writing tells about.
Always write content for humans, which means do not use artificial ways to get things like backlinks. As my experience, once you make content, you need high-quality backlinks to get rank in higher positions on search engines.
If you on a self-hosted site with WordPress, I recommend you to ins the plugin called “Yoast SEO” perform these factors super easy. It ill suggests everything quickly for writing better content.
Moreover, keep in mind to bookmark my blogging resources page for future updates regarding tools and resources that you need to keep growing your blog.
I wish to put more articles like this continuously. If you want to get them to your inbox, subscribe below!
Here are some hand-picked guides for your next steps:
- Why You Should Start Building an Email List to Grow Your Blog
- How to Use Canva (Quick Start Guide)
- 8 Tips to Explode Your Pinterest Traffic in 2020
Featured Image by rawpixel.com.