Are you looking for a powerful alternative to Google Docs?
With the ever-growing popularity of cloud-based applications, there are now a number of great alternatives to Google Docs that offer a range of features and capabilities.
In this write-up, we’ll take a look at eight of the best Google Docs alternatives for browser-based document editing in 2023.
Disclosure: Our website is reader-supported. If you purchase any service through our partner links, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Google Docs Alternatives
Google Docs is a powerful tool for modern day productivity, enabling users to create, edit, share and collaborate on documents from anywhere with an internet connection.
However, Google Docs isn’t the only option out there.
So, let’s get started and explore the best options for your next big work.
Microsoft Office Online is the cloud-based version of Microsoft Office, a collection of office productivity applications. This version of Office is designed with collaboration in mind, allowing users to access and edit their documents from anywhere with an internet connection.
Microsoft Office Online is free to use and is available to anyone with a Microsoft account. To get started, simply sign in with your Microsoft account information. Once you’re signed in, you’ll be able to access a range of applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
- No installation required
- Create your work on any web browser
- Experience the familiar Microsoft 365 features on your web browser
- Share documents with anyone and work together in real-time
Pricing: Microsoft Office Online is free to use, as you don’t have to pay for the basic functionality. However, if you want to take advantage of some of its advanced features, you will need to purchase a subscription.
2. Canva Docs
Canva Docs provides users with an intuitive drag-and-drop interface that allows them to easily create stunning documents. The platform also allows users to include visuals like videos, images, graphics, charts, and graphs in their documents.
But what makes Canva Docs even more special is its New Magic Write tool, an AI-powered copywriting assistant that makes it easier than ever to write compelling content quickly. You can also work on documents together with your team in real-time to make instant changes.
- Create documents in a visual-first drag-and-drop editor
- Add editable Design Blocks with custom text and graphics
- Use AI-powered writer, Magic Write to generate articles, outlines, topics, and more
- Turn your Canva Doc into a Canva presentation in seconds
- Collaborate, and work with everyone on the same page
Pricing: Canva is free to use. If you’re looking for even more features and resources, Canva’s Pro plan is the way to go. And with the 30-day free trial, you can experience all that Canva PRO has to offer with no risk.
Dropbox Paper is a collaboration tool created by Dropbox to help teams work together more efficiently. It combines the best aspects of document editing, task management, and project management into one seamless experience.
In addition to documents, Dropbox Paper also lets you create to-dos, assign them to team members, and track their progress. This makes it easy to keep everyone on the same page and work together on projects. You can even add stickers and react to comments to liven up your conversations.
- Easily assign to-dos to teammates right within a Paper doc
- A range of basic text formatting options
- Timelines with project milestones to plan projects and track progress
- Templates for meeting notes, brainstorming, and more
Pricing: Dropbox Paper is free to use with a Dropbox account.
4. Zoho Writer
Zoho Writer is an online word processor from Zoho, a comprehensive suite of business and productivity software suite. It offers a variety of features to help you create and manage your documents quickly and easily. With Zoho Writer, you can easily create documents, collaborate with others, and share your work with anyone you choose.
The documents created with Zoho Writer are also compatible with Microsoft Word, so you can easily share your documents with anyone who uses Word. Zoho Writer also has a built-in smart writing assistant, which helps you write better.
- Focus Mode and Night Mode to help you focus and keep it easy on the eyes
- Lock or mask your sensitive information
- Improve your writing with the smart writing assistant
- Create and publish your work to WordPress directly from Zoho Writer
Pricing: Zoho Writer is free to use for individuals. If you’re a business or team, you can also opt for the Zoho Workdrive paid plan starts at $3 per month.
Evernote lets users create and store notes, tasks, and ideas in a variety of formats, including text, images, audio, and video. It also makes it easy to organize and share your notes, tasks, and ideas with others, and the app includes a number of powerful features that make it easy to find the information you need quickly.
One of the most compelling reasons to use Evernote as a Google Docs alternative is its notes organization system. Plus, with Evernote’s web clipper, you can easily clip webpages and store them in your Evernote account. But it lacks collaborative features.
- Create to-dos in your notes with due dates and reminders
- Organize the Home dashboard to show you the information you need
- Connect to Google Calendar to bring your schedule and notes together
- Clip web pages, articles, or PDFs and save them in Evernote
Pricing: It has a free plan, as well as four paid plans that range in price from $8.99/month to $10.99/month. While the free plan is more than enough for some people, those who need access to more advanced features may want to consider one of the paid plans.
Nuclino is a modern workspace software that helps teams to organize, collaborate, and share knowledge. It provides an intuitive workspace that can be used to create documents, store files, and work together in real time. It’s like a virtual office but powered by the cloud.
It has a slick and intuitive interface that’s easy to use. Nuclino also makes it easy to connect with other tools, such as Slack, Miro, and Typeform. It’s an ideal way to help your team stay organized, collaborate effectively, and share knowledge quickly.
- Create content faster with the keyboard via Markdown commands
- Collaborate with your team in real-time
- Graph view to visually explore your team’s knowledge
- Version history to easily undoes accidental changes
- Control access to content with roles and settings
Pricing: With the free version of Nuclino, you get access to all the basic features. For large teams and businesses, Nuclino offers a paid plan starting at $6/month per user.
Coda is a cloud-based productivity suite for businesses of all sizes. It is an all-in-one platform that combines a variety of functionality, including document collaboration, task management, automation, and other project management features.
The platform also integrates with popular tools such as Slack, Jira, and Asana, so teams can easily share and collaborate on documents. Plus, Coda offers version history, ensuring that teams can trust their work is safe as it tracks and stores all updates.
- Pull in data from 3rd-party tools via Packs
- Put your repetitive tasks on autopilot
- Create forms to collect responses from users even outside of Coda
- Connect tables of information between Coda docs
Pricing: Coda offers a free plan. For teams that need even more features, Coda also offers paid plans that start at $10/month per Doc Maker.
OnlyOffice Docs is an online office suite that provides a comprehensive set of tools to help you create and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets and presentations. It’s an open-source alternative to Google Docs and Microsoft Office.
With OnlyOffice Docs, you can create documents and use the built-in collaboration features to work with your team. It supports all the major office file formats, including DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX, and you can easily share documents with others with a single link.
- OnlyOffice can be self-hosted or used in the Cloud
- Fully compatible with Microsoft Office formats
- Powerful editing experience (but need to invest some time in learning)
- Track collaborators’ changes and reject or accept them as needed
- Switch to the Dark theme if you are working in a low-light
- Automatically publish your text on your WordPress blog
Pricing: OnlyOffice Docs Cloud offers a business plan starting at $8/month per user. It also offers a one-time lifetime license starting from $1,500 for enterprise solutions.
Whether you are looking for a better user experience, greater customization, or better file sharing, there is a Google Docs alternative that can help you achieve your goals.
All of these alternatives offer different features and benefits, so it is important to research and compare the different options before deciding which one best suits your needs.
If you’re looking for a more visual way to create documents, Canva Docs is worth a try.
With the right choice of platform, you can be sure to get the most out of your team.