Everyone should have to consider online safety nowadays. If you’re going to set up two-factor authentication (2FA), it would be a great way to protect your online accounts against password theft.
This is where Google authenticator comes in handy for you!
But, what exactly is it, and how to use Google authenticator for protecting yourself online using your mobile?
Let’s find out the answers below!
What is Google Authenticator?
Google Authenticator is a free security app that can protect your online accounts adding strong security. You can use this app to generate two-factor authentication codes for popular sites like Google, Facebook, Instagram, WordPress, and more.
This app is available for both Android and iOS smartphones to create 2FA codes that serve as a second level of protection when you log in to those sites.
Once you set up this app correctly, you no need to get passwords via SMS or phone call to log in to your accounts. This authenticator app can easily generate security codes with your smartphone or tablet to make your life easier.
How to Set up Google Authenticator?
First, you have to do a few things before start the process to with this setup:
- You must have 2-Step Verification set up on your Google account with your mobile number. (If not, you can setup it here.)
- You must install the Google Authenticator app on your Android or iOS device.
Now if you have completed the previous step and let’s see how to set up Google Authenticator for your Google account:
- Log in to the Google account and move to the security page.
- Click on the “2-Step Verification” option.
- Choose the Authenticator App and, click “Setup“.
- Choose your device Android or iPhone and click “Next” to get the QR code.
- Open the Authenticator app on your smart device and Tap “Scan a barcode“.
- Scan the QR code that is open in your browser and clicks the “Next” button on the browser.
- Type the code you’ll see on your mobile device into the text box on your PC and click “Verify“.
- Click the “Done” option to complete your setup. That’s it!
Important: I highly recommend you get and store backup codes from your online accounts when you’re setting up the authenticator. If you lost your mobile, those backup codes will help you to get back to your account without the authenticator.
How to Use Google Authenticator?
A few things to keep on your mind,
Make sure to never set this up on a publicly shared device and remember to get backup codes from every website you adding to this app.
Also, you can do this same process to enable two-factor authentication for:
And many more sites around the Internet. Moreover, Read this article if you want to move your authenticator app to a new mobile phone you got. So, how this app is valuable for your daily life? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!