Everyone should have to consider about online safety nowadays. If you’re going to set up two-factor authentication (2FA), a great way to protect your online accounts from thieves. So, how to use Google authenticator for protecting your self online using your mobile?
This app is available for both Android and iOS smartphones to create 2FA codes that serve as a second level of protection when you log in to those sites again. Here’s how to use Google Authenticator to secure your online accounts.
What is Google Authenticator?
Google Authenticator is a free security app that can protect your online accounts adding second level security. You can use this app to generate two-factor authentication codes for popular sites like Google, Facebook, Instagram, WordPress and more.
Once you setup this app correctly, you no need to get passwords via SMS or phone call for login to your accounts. This authenticator app can easily generate security codes with your smartphone or tablet to make your life easier.
In this article, I’ll to show you how simple it is to set up the Authenticator app on your smart mobile device.
How to Setup the App?
You must have to know this app can secure your accounts by generating offline codes for your accounts.
But, I highly recommend you to get some backup codes from your online accounts such as Google. Because, If you lost your mobile, that can be a huge problem. After downloading your backup codes, I recommend saving them in a secure location.
First, you have to do a few things must happen before start the process to with this setup,
- You must have 2-Step Verification set up on your Google account with your mobile number. (If not, you can setup it here.)
- You must install the Google Authenticator app on your Android or iOS device.
Now you have completed the previous step and let’s move to set up your device to use mobile authenticator.
- Open a web browser from your PC, log in to the Google account and move to the security page.
- Click on “2-Step Verification” option.
- Choose the Authenticator App and, click “Setup“.
- Choose your device Android or iPhone and click “Next” to get the QR code.
- Open the Authenticator app on your smart device and Tap “Scan a barcode“.
- Scan the QR code that is open in your browser and clicks “Next” button on the browser.
- Type the code you’ll see on your mobile device into the text box on your PC and click “Verify“.
- Click the “Done” option to complete your setup. That’s it!
How to Use Google Authenticator?
A few things to keep on your mind,
Make sure to never set this up on a publicly shared device and remember to get back up codes from every website you adding to this app.
Also, you can do this same process to enable two-factor authentication for,
And many more sites around the Internet. Moreover, Read this article for if you want to move your authenticator app to a new mobile phone you got. So, how this app is valuable for your daily life? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!