Google Docs is an incredible, free text editor tool allowing you to collaborate effectively with other Google users in real-time. If you’re a Gmail user, Google docs might be not a new thing for you.
When we use Google docs sometimes organizing a messy bunch of docs can be a challenge. The best way to manage this is by creating folders.
Creating folders to organize your Docs keeps you avoiding losing important documents and wasting time searching for Docs.
But, Google Docs can’t really make this happen itself. If you want to make folders, you must need to start making them inside Google Drive.
Don’t worry, I got you covered!
Here’s how to make a folder in Google Docs to organize your all Docs smartly.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. If you purchase any service through these links, we may earn a commission at no cost to you.
How to Make a Folder in Google Docs
Before you get started, you need to know that all Docs you create at docs.google.com are also automatically added to your account’s Google Drive.
Put simply, The Google Docs home screen is just for access to your Google Docs. All of the Google Docs files you created will be actually stored in your Google Drive storage.
However, you can make a folder in two ways:
- Directly from the document in Google Docs
- Using your Google Drive to create a new folder.
Both options require a few steps. So you can go with the best one easily for you.
Create a Folder in Google Docs
When you’re working on a Google Docs document and want to create a folder from there, just follow these steps:
- Go to docs.google.com and open one of your documents.
- Click the folder icon next to your document’s title.
- When the menu prompt. Click the folder icon with the plus mark at the bottom of the menu to create a new folder.
- Name your new folder and hit the enter or click on the blue checkmark.
- Now your new folder is ready to use and click on the blue “Move here” button to move the Doc into the new folder.
When you created a folder in Google Docs, It will also automatically show up in your Google Drive.
Create a Folder in Google Drive
When you’re in Google Drive and, if you’re going to organize more than one of your Google Docs documents It’s easy creating a new folder.
- Go to drive.google.com and open any folder.
- Click the “New” plus button from the top-left of the screen.
- From that click “Google Docs” to create a new document inside the folder you already opened.
In addition, you can create a new folder by clicking on the Folder icon with the plus mark from that menu. Once you have done it, you can drag all of the documents on top of the folder, and it will place them in there. Or, you can right-click any document and select “Move-To”, and it will provide a list of Google Drive folders you can move the document into.
Now you know how to make a folder in Google Docs in two different ways. You can directly create folders from Google Docs and you can also use Google Drive to organize everything easily. So you can figure out what is the best process for you.
Must read: 8 Google Drive Features You Must Use
If you need different folders for everything, you can start creating Google docs through Google drive by opening your favorite folder. It’s quite easy than directly creating folders from a Google docs document.